Thursday 23 May 2013

'You don't have to try, to be yourself'

I don't know who said this one... but it's right up my street. As you can see from the title of this blog, I've got an issue with 'trying harder'. I don't really know what it means...

In this blog I plan to plot my thoughts on this subject, which after a burnout some years ago, and a high sensitivity to any type of urgency... I have done a lot of thinking on this matter.

Who measures 'hard work' or 'trying harder'...? There is no slide rule for effort but that which is internal. And then a lot of us have the inner 'whatever I do, it will never be enough' tape running in our heads.

3 comments:

  1. My parents use to say to me 'try harder' this use to confuse me? They'd say it even when I didn't work as in house work, school work etc...
    So I tried to do everything to the best of my abilities. I think I always strive to work harder now whatever I do! Maybe we measure ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I find this such a subtle subject... and have discovered that I have worked hard all my life - but was mistaken in thinking that I hadn't! Here's to us doing our thing and enjoying it - however 'hard' we work!

      Delete
  2. I agree, who knows how hard something was for you to do, except yourself. I personally think that whatever you do, if you do it in good faith and to the best of your ability that that is all anyone can ask of you.
    Nice meeting you today Maggie. Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete